Requirements to Sponsor in Canada
To receive a visa under this immigration program, you and your foreign spouse or partner will have to prove that you are in an authentic relationship. Factors that can terminate your chances of sponsoring your spouse:
- If you fall under 18 years of age or were married to someone else at the time of his/her marriage to the sponsored applicant.
- Have been admitted to Canada but not examined by CIC.
- Have failed to provide any financial evidence to support a previous sponsorship.Lived separately and any one of the two had been involved in a conjugal or common-law relationship with a third person.
- Have been engaged in an existing sponsorship agreement which is valid at the time of filing another sponsorship application to CIC.
To sponsor your spouse in Canada involves a commitment to provide financial support to your spouse. As a sponsor, you will have to sign an undertaking that promises to provide for the basic necessities of your spouse.
These basic needs include:
- Food and personal hygiene products;
- Housing, including utility bills;
- Clothing and other items necessary for daily living;
- Medical expenses not covered by public health insurance, such as dental and eye care.
Your role as a sponsor begins the minute the undertaking is in effect. The duration of the undertaking is 3 years from the day your spouse or common-law partner becomes a permanent resident.