Surinder Gill, aged 25 years, a strapping young lad from Moga wanted to leave the mustard fields of Punjab in exchange for a better life in Montreal or Mississauga, where his many relatives had set up lives anew. He was determined to join them in his quest for a new start and life in Canada had appealed to him. He had done his engineering from Chandigarh and wanted to use it as a stepping stone to get him to get a visa there. He started his homework diligently on various types of work visa programs for Canada and these are some of his findings which will be useful for many of you.
There are 2 types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits in Canada.
Openwork Permit – It allows you to work for any employer in the country in any city/region.
If, however, an employer is listed by the Canadian government as one who is barred from employing people due to failure to meet conditions and sticking to the rules in the past, then pone cannot work for such an employer. Plus working in certain professions such as erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages is not allowed either.
Employer Specific Permit – As the term goes, it allows you to work only for a mentioned/stated employer where it is stated type, place, and duration of work
The conditions for being granted a work permit:
1. No history of criminal record
2. Medical certificate of good health
3. Meet eligibility conditions such as language skills, biometric data, and insurance
4. Sticking to the rules of the work permit
The Canadian work permit shows the four requirements which are:
· The work you will do
· Location of work
· Period of time allowed to stay legally and work
Some of the types of work permit considered to be part of the open work permit are:
· Temporary Work Permits for Spouses or Partners
· Post Graduation Work Permit
· Temporary Resident Permit
· World Youth Program Permit
· Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program Spousal Permit
· Regular Open Work Permit
· Birding Open Work Permit
Canada has some visa programs that use Open Work Permits which are:
· Working Holiday Visa
· Young Professionals Visa
· International Experience Canada
· Federal Skilled Worker Program
· Canadian Experience Class
· Federal Skilled Trades Program
· Provincial Nominee Program
· International Co-Op Program
The land of the free and gentle has around 70 options for immigrants to come across. The first step in many cases begins with getting a work permit. Get in touch with Kytero consulting as your counselor in the tedious process to get to Canada on one of the many work visa programs which allows you to stay there for a limited period at the end of which you have to return to India. Like Surinder Gill who made it across to work in an MNC as an engineer, so can you. Let’s work towards it.