“Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.”
- W. Clement Stone, Late American businessman, and philanthropist
If you are seeking to immigrate to an English-speaking country such as Canada, UK, New Zealand, the USA, or Australia, you may come across this term - IELTS. What exactly is IELTS? The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is an international test of English language proficiency for those people whose first language is not English.
It is valid for all those who wish to study, migrate, or work overseas. Each of the nations listed above has its IELTS requirements. For the latest information, please visit the relevant government websites or contact your experiences immigration & visa consultancy.
Why Choose IELTS:
· It assesses language skills at all levels
· There is a face to face live practical portion to judge verbal skills
· Biometric security and protection of test integrity
Here are some suggested tips on How to get a good score/band in IELTS:
1. Start preparations well in advance and be consistent in your studies
2. Practice English skills in these ways – listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
3. Watch English movies with subtitles, international news channels and current affairs programs on various topics
4. Read English newspapers, books, journals on various topics and read out loud from them in front of the mirror or in the privacy of your home
5. Converse in English as much as you can with those who are fluent in English and can mentor you as well as check your errors
6. Increase your vocabulary. Learn 10 new words every day with their meanings. Invest in a good dictionary.
7. Join an IELTS preparatory course or find a tutor who can help you prepare.
8. Take a diagnostic test and get feedback from an instructor on your proficiency.
9. Write a page like a diary every day to gauge your progress on writing skills, grammar, and vocabulary, and so on, get it assessed by a loved one, etc. who can guide you.
10. Get a hand of IELTS study material and study it diligently.
Tips during the exam to get a good score/band in IELTS:
1. Revise and review your answers if you have time
2. Attempt the easier portions first
3. Be relaxed and attentive during the listening section
4. Read the important portion of the questions well before the recorded speech starts.
5. Never guess answers. Your replies should be based on logic and facts
6. Be cool, calm at all times, take a deep breath, and be focused.
With the above-suggested tips, all candidates should sail the exam with flying colors. But the key to passing any exam let alone IELTS is hard work. There is no replacement for dedicated attempts and studies to prepare oneself for this exam and the bright future ahead which awaits you all.
IELTS is a very important component of immigration or work abroad. The English-speaking nations are strict about who they let in, so don’t give them a chance to reject your entry under any pretext. Ace the test with the above tips and ensure smooth sailing to your preferred destination.