“The fact is Canadians understand that immigration, that people fleeing for their lives, that people wanting to build a better life for themselves and their kids is what created Canada, it's what created North America.”
– Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada.
Amidst the gloom caused by the Covid-19 Pandemic which has currently gripped the world and its interconnected economy, there are silver linings. WE just have to need to discover them. There have been statements and speculations that the virus will be staying longer with us and we shall have to get used to it just like we have with other existing viruses. The sooner we make peace with this, the easier it would be our mental and emotional peace. One of the silver linings is the attitude of the Canadian government led by its young premier Justin Trudeau.
The government of this vibrant and immigrant-friendly country is differing in its approach, attitude, and health as compared to its southern neighbor which has the largest cases of the virus and its fatalities. It’s doing the right things to keep the virus in check, the economy running, and the Canadians in good spirits while other countries bear the maximum front. Let’s see some steps taken by this country to help its citizens.
Here are some steps the government is doing to help citizens especially immigrants and students to tide over the crisis in these dark days:
- The Canadian Government has initiated a temporary income support fund called Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This will grant Canadians $500 weekly up to 6 months for the eligible applicants. Those who have stopped working, temporary workers and international students can apply for this.
- Other students can apply for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB). This scheme provides monetary assistance to post-secondary students, post-secondary, and high school graduates who cannot find work due to the economic downturn.
- the COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program is helping Canadian nationals abroad who wish to return home or are stuck in countries with lockdowns and no flights. This is a temporary program.
- Increase financial support for low-income families and those not eligible for certain welfare schemes
- Support to businesses to keep staff employed despite being told to remain homes
- Increasing access to credit for companies to stay afloat in these times
- The aid package for industries hardest hit by the pandemic such as tourism and hospitality
The above-listed reasons are why we call the Canadian government the silver lining among the dark clouds. The actions of the government reflect its compassionate and welfare aspects. The world needs such actions to make it a happier and gentler place for all of us to co-exist.
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.